Executive Producer, Joe Neate, recently presented a talk at the Fun and Serious Game Festival about how the team at Rare set out to create “a new type of multiplayer game”. There’s some interesting background in here about Rare’s original goals for Sea Of Thieves and how they focussed on player stories and building an experience to give players a range of emotions.
There’s also some excellent acting work from Design Director, Mike Chapman.
Looks like the talk I gave at the @funandserious festival is up online. If you're interested in how we set out to create a new type of multiplayer game, it's here: https://t.co/w7diB1O7RW Most importantly it includes @ChappersChapman and team in a video dressed as pirates 🙃 pic.twitter.com/ftLea4xrPo
— Joe "Three Sheets" Neate (@JoeNeate1) December 19, 2018
At the conclusion of the talk Joe took a few questions covering how they made the game accessible to all ages and levels of experience, game progression, his role as producer, and how the game and its development evolved over time.
- Ships of Fortune
- Get the Mutinous Fist ship set
- Sea of Thieves 2nd Anniversary
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps ship set
- Hunter's Haul - Fishing Event
- Chain-shot is coming to Sea of Thieves
- How many people are really playing Sea of Thieves?
- Yes, you can finally change your Pirate in Sea of Thieves!
- Release Notes: 2.0.10
- Dev Update (video)