Executive Producer, Joe Neate, recently presented a talk at the Fun and Serious Game Festival about how the team at Rare set out to create “a new type of multiplayer game”. There’s some interesting background in here about Rare’s original goals for Sea Of Thieves and how they focussed on player stories and building an experience to give players a range of emotions.
There’s also some excellent acting work from Design Director, Mike Chapman.
Looks like the talk I gave at the @funandserious festival is up online. If you're interested in how we set out to create a new type of multiplayer game, it's here: https://t.co/w7diB1O7RW Most importantly it includes @ChappersChapman and team in a video dressed as pirates 🙃 pic.twitter.com/ftLea4xrPo
— Joe "Three Sheets" Neate (@JoeNeate1) December 19, 2018
At the conclusion of the talk Joe took a few questions covering how they made the game accessible to all ages and levels of experience, game progression, his role as producer, and how the game and its development evolved over time.
- Sea of Thieves Content Update: The Hunter's Call (video)
- All the Arena Streams from TwitchCon
- Mega Update gameplay (video)
- Sea of Thieves Content Update: The Arena (video)
- Rare invited press to play the Anniversary Update [roundup]
- 6 Minutes of Sea of Thieves Arena PvP Gameplay
- 6 Minutes of Sea of Thieves Tall Tales: Shores of Gold Gameplay
- 7 Minutes of Sea of Thieves Cooking and Fishing Gameplay
- The Story Continues - Joe Neate at EGX (video)
- The Arena will be playable at TwitchCon